Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Whole Wheat Bread and French Toast


 Last week, during our big snow storm, I made my first loaf of homemade bread! I was really happy with the result - for 100% whole wheat bread it is light and moist with great flavor. We normally don't go through bread that fast, but I used it a few different ways in the past week and I just finished off the loaf this morning. We had some with our Beef Vegetable Soup, I made it into delicious french toast for Tyler for Valentines Day, and I toasted quite a few slices during the week for Leah with homemade hummus spread on top. She loves the bread and the hummus; she gobbles it right up and keeps signing for more =)
The recipe (from Christie) makes 2 loaves. I cut it in half and only made one. We just don't go through bread fast enough to make more. I also think next time I make it, I will freeze half of the loaf to keep it fresher longer.



Whole Wheat Bread

2 3/4 c. hot water
1/3 c. oil (I used melted coconut oil)
1/3 c. honey
2 T. molasses
1 T. salt
about 7 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
8 tsp. wheat gluten
2 T. yeast

1. In a large bowl, mix water, oil, honey, molasses and salt. In another small bowl, mix 2 cups flour, wheat gluten and yeast. Add the flour mixture to the water mixture and stir. Slowly add 3-4 cups flour, adding until it is no longer sticking to the bowl but still tacky to the touch. 

2. Cover and let rise 45-69 minutes in a warm place. Grease 2 loaf pans. Separate dough into 2 halves and shape into loaves. Place in loaf pans and cover with wax paper and let rise until the dough starts pushing up on the wax paper. 

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool briefly in pan, then remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack. Yields 2 loaves.

Whole Wheat French Toast

2 slices of the homemade whole wheat bread
2 eggs
1/2 Tbsp. butter
Maple Syrup
Powdered Sugar
Cinnamon

Melt butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Meanwhile beat eggs in a small bowl. Dip slices of bread in eggs to completely coat. Place bread in pan and fry on each side for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup, powdered sugar and cinnamon. It always taste better when cut into cute hearts too =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment