Wow, is today beautiful or what! I love this weather... the windows are open, Leah and I went on a long walk and I packed away my winter sweaters for the season. It feels so good!
This recipe is from Cooking Light and I adapted it to fit our taste. It called for lots of different kinds of mushrooms and no meat. Instead I just used regular mushrooms and added some sausage that I already had in the freezer. It was very good, the flavor was great and I enjoyed the rigatoni pasta....it was something different from what we normally eat.
Enjoy this summer-like weather over the next few days!
Rigatoni with Creamy Mushroom Ragu
Salt and pepper
1
pound
rigatoni rigate
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/4 lb. cooked country sausage
1/4 lb. cooked country sausage
1 1/2
cups
chicken broth
3
tablespoons
EVOO
2
tablespoons
butter
1
cup
whole milk
1
small
carrot, grated
1
small
onion, finely chopped
3
- 4
cloves
garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
3 basil leaves, thinly sliced
1
large
bay leaf
1/4
cup
tomato paste
1/2
cup
marsala
A generous handful of Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water (only to use if needed).
In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the butter to melt. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned, 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat the milk to barely a simmer. Remove from the heat; cover.
Add the carrot, onion, garlic, thyme, sage and bay leaf to the cooked mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute. Stir in the marsala, chicken broth and the milk; simmer.
Add the pasta, add reserved pasta water if needed. Add the cooked sausage and stir until everything is combined. Stir in the cheese.
No comments:
Post a Comment