Monday, March 10, 2014

Wheat Thin Crackers


Even since Leah has started eating solids, I have become increasingly mindful of how many processed foods come into our house and I'm trying to make more foods, especially ones that she eats, from scratch. I found this recipe for wheat thin crackers the other week and decided to give them a try. I like that they are made with whole wheat flour. They really are not that hard to make and Leah loves them! I like them too... but I think they would be better a little thinner. I need to work on rolling my dough paper thin before cutting them. I have found that they last about a week before getting really stale. I haven't tried freezing them, but I think that could work to keep them fresh. Leah will eat these plain, or with some homemade hummus.

Wheat Thin Crackers

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1/4 tsp. paprika
4 Tbsp. butter
1 4 cup + 2 Tbsp. water (or a little more if dough is too dry)
1/4 tsp. vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick mat.

2. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, paprika, salt.)

3. With a pastry blender or two forks, cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly. Mix together the water and vanilla and then pour into the flour and butter mixture. Stir the mixture until it comes together. Use your hands to squeeze the dough to help it come together. If it appears too dry, add a touch of water, but you don't want it sticky.

4. Split the dough in half. On a floured surface, roll out one half of the dough very thin (1/16th inch). Using a pizza cutter, cut into whatever shape you desire. Using a spatula, place the crackers on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with more salt (I used coarse sea salt to sprinkle) if desired.

5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, watching closely - they can burn quickly. Cool completely. Makes about 64 crackers for the full recipe. Store in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment