Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Last night I tried this new recipe from Cooking Light. I adapted it a little to suit our taste, I didn't use okra or Cajun seasoning and instead used some roasted red pepper and chili seasoning. It also called for a can of diced tomatoes, which I realized last minute that I was out of, so I used tomato sauce instead and we really liked it. Next time I will use tomato sauce as well since Tyler doesn't like the chunks of tomatoes anyway. We enjoyed this dish as something different. I wish I had brown rice to make with it instead of white rice, next time I will try that!
I'm going to spend the rest of this rainy Tuesday getting ready for my sister's bridal shower on Saturday and am going to my parent's house for dinner!

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

1/2 lb. cooked sausage
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/3 cup flour
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch of chili seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 can tomato sauce
3 cups cooked white or brown rice

Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium high heat. Stir flour into butter mixture; cook a minute until flour mixture starts to brown, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add chicken; saute 4 minutes, stirring frequently. add onion and next 6 ingredients. Saute for 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add cooked sausage. Add chicken broth and tomato sauce to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 6 minutes; stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment