Monday, May 14, 2012

Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo

Sorry for the lack of posts recently. Life seems to be moving so fast.... I'm running short on time right now to make new recipes. I've also hit a point where I've made pretty much posted everything in my recipe collection, which means I need to keep making new stuff to post on here. Unfortunately, these last few weeks, I have been making boring meals, like hamburgers or hot dogs, or meals that I have already posted.
I promise I will have new recipes soon!
I just have to get through the last 18.... yes 18!!! days of school. Not that I'm counting or anything =) I'm so ready for summer break - just 3 more IEP's, 1 more set of progress reports and report cards and  packing up my classroom.
One thing I am bummed about is that my classroom is moving to a different part of the building next year.... and I'm going to loose my incredible wall of windows I now have for only 2 little windows. Time to start packing....yuck.
So, the other night I tried this new pasta recipe from Rachael Ray. It was super easy to make and I had extra red pepper in the fridge so I sauteed the pepper and chicken to add to the pasta. It was very flavorful and yummy. I like it because you can add anything to the pasta that you have on hand at the time to make a great, easy weeknight meal.

Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo

8 ounces fettuccine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus small whole leaves for garnish (didn't  use)
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pinch ground nutmeg (didn't use)
3/4 cup grated parmesan, plus more for serving

1, In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and chopped sage and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

3. Whisk in the flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, milk, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring gently, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.

4. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss. Stir in 3/4 cup parmesan. Top with the sage leaves and more parmesan.

5. Add any other desired meats or vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment