Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Patty Melts with Zucchini Fries

The other day, Grandma Ranck gave us 2 big zucchini's from her garden. We love zucchini and have it as a side vegetable, sauteed with onions and mushrooms, with many of our meals. I wanted to try something different since I had so much of it at once, so yesterday I made zucchini brownies - Thank you Christie for the yummy recipe! - and I made zucchini fries with dinner. Surprisingly, all the zucchini was gone by the end of the day.
I have always wanted to make Patty Melts - I order them sometimes when we go out to eat, but never made them at home. It sounded easy enough, just a burger and grilled cheese put together.... and it was easy and delicious! I added sauteed mushrooms and onions to the sandwiches as well. The zucchini fries went along perfectly with the burgers, they had great flavor and still had some crunch to them. I found the fry recipe on another blog I was looking at a few weeks ago and decided to adjust it to our taste. It's a keeper and I am planning on making it again.
Enjoy!

Patty Melts

hamburgers
bread (2 per sandwhich)
butter
provolone cheese
mushrooms
onions

Grill burgers - adding season salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce for flavor
Meanwhile on the stovetop, saute mushrooms and onions in a little butter and olive oil.
On a griddle, butter one side of each bread slice and lay face down, placing provolone cheese on top.
Once the burgers are done, bring them in and place one burger on top of each piece of bread and cheese. Spoon mushroom mixture on top of burgers, cover with another piece of cheese and the top piece of bread. Brown grilled cheese on each side until the cheese melts - about 5 minutes.

Zucchini Fries

1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp. season salt
A dash of chili powder
1 garlic clove, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 egg whites
1 large zucchini, halved crosswise and cut into 1/2 inch wedges

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, mix together panko, cheese, season salt, chili powder, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. In another bowl, lightly beat egg whites.
Working with one at a time, dip zucchini wedges in egg whites and then in breadcrumb mixture, pressing to stick. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until breadcrumbs are golden brown and crisp. About 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious - I'd love to try to make the zucchini fries! Do you think that regular breadcrumbs would work instead of Panko crumbs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would work - the texture might be a little different, Panko is crunchier than breadcrumbs....let me know how it works if you give it a try!

    ReplyDelete