Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Muffins


Woohoo!! I am officially on summer vacation. Today was our last day of school. I got to watch my 6th graders walk for 6th grade graduation and my room is all packed up and ready to move down the hall. All 200 pages of progress reports were printed and put in report cards this morning and I am ready for a nice change of pace for a little.
I made these muffins last weekend for my two amazing paraprofessional aides who work in my room. They are easy to make and I like the mixture of lemon and blueberry. I forgot to take a picture until I was wrapping up this last muffin for my snack at school the other day. Happy Summer!

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg
1 Tbsp. lemon rind
1 cup blueberries
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2.  Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Combine buttermilk, egg and rind. Stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture until just moist. Gently fold in blueberries.
4. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until the muffins spring back when lightly touched. Remove from pans immediately and place on a wire rack to cool.
5. Combine lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze evenly over cooled muffins.
Yield: 1 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment