Monday, August 1, 2011

"Farmers' Market" Pizza

This past Friday, I switched up our normal pizza for something a little different. When I told Tyler the night before that I was going to make a pizza without tomato sauce and topped with corn, peppers and tomatoes, he was a little skeptical to say the least... and was also convinced that he wouldn't like it =)
Once he tasted this pizza though, he quickly changed his mind.The pizza has great flavor and the corn and peppers on top with the fresh basil is a great combination. I also added chicken to our pizza, which was good, but not needed in my opinion. I also used a bobili pizza crust for this pizza, since there were so many toppings, I wasn't sure if my thin homemade pizza crust would hold up on the grill. The recipe is from the most recent edition of Cooking Light.
This is a nice alternative to traditional pizza and we will be eating it again soon!

Farmers' Market Pizza

1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 tsp. thyme
2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fresh corn kernels (I used canned "shoe peg" corn - and I normally hate canned veggies, but this corn is really good!)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 bobili pizza crust
8 oz. thinly sliced fresh Mozzarella cheese (I used shredded Mozz. cheese)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves

Heat the bobili pizza crust on the grill for 3 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile, on the stovetop, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add 2 cups onion and thyme and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion is tender. Add bell pepper and garlic to pan, cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn, salt and pepper, cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
Once the bobili crust is thoroughly heated, bring back inside and top with the following: mozzarella, corn mixture, tomatoes, parmesan cheese. Place back on the grill and set it on medium low for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted. Top with basil before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Tyler should know by now that when Amanda tries new recipes, Tyler likes them. Silly Tyler.

    ReplyDelete