The view from our room at Bedford Springs
We are back from Bedford and the beach. It was a wonderful, long vacation. The weather was perfect the entire time and we had a great time relaxing with family. My favorite thing about Bedford was hiking the trails with Nikki (Tyler's co-worker's wife) and their 3 boys, and of course, my massage! That was the fastest 50 minutes ever... I could have stayed in that spa all day. My favorite part of the beach was kayaking with my Dad and Tyler on the bay and reading by the water on the beach.
Kayaking on the bay
Last evening, we did a progressive dinner with some of Tyler's cousins. There were 3 other couples and we all have bought a house in the past year or so, but whenever we get together for family events we are at Grandma and Grandpa's house, so we wanted to see all of our new places. We started at our house for an appetizer, then headed to Kyle and Megan's for salad, Justin and Brittany's for dinner and Eric and Amber's for dessert. It was a lot of fun giving each other tours of our houses and eating along the way.
For my appetizer, I made Texas Caviar and Sausage Wonton Stars... more on them later. The Texas Caviar really is just a bean and corn salsa dip. My mom got the recipe recently from a friend and she made it over the 4th of July. I think it is delicious and very addicting. It is great with Frito's corn chips, but I had a lot of tostitos corn chips, so I used them instead.
Texas Caviar
Rinse:
1 can black beans
1 can black eyed peas
1 can shoe peg corn
Chop:
1/2 green or red pepper
1/2 small red onion
2 tsp. (or a little more) roasted red peppers
Boil:
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. water
After it is brought to a boil and the sugar dissolves, take off the heat and add 1/4 cup vegetable oil to the liquid.
Combine all ingredients and refrigerated for 8-10 hours before serving. Serve with Frito's or Tostitos chips.
Looks like such a great time! What a gorgeous place that Bedford Spa looks like. I love to idea of the progressive dinner you did - I can't wait to try these appetizers!
ReplyDelete