Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Chocolate Layer Cake
I made it!! I am officially on Thanksgiving break! For the past month, I have just been telling myself that all I have to do is make it to Thanksgiving.... and here I am. It feels good. Time to relax and eat lots of food =)
I made this cake for the Nolt Thanksgiving Dinner this past Sunday night. We had quite a gathering of 40 people at Tyler's parents house. Good thing they have a big farmhouse to hold us all! We had delicious food and a great time relaxing with family.
This recipe is one that my Mom always makes. I have no clue where it is from, but it is my absolute favorite. It is better to make it a day ahead, it is so moist and delicious!
Chocolate Layer Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup milk
1 cup hot coffee (1 level tsp. of instant coffee to 1 cup water)
Mix all ingredients. Grease 2 round pans, then place wax paper on bottom of pan, then grease again. Pour into pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Let cool completely before pulling wax paper off cake.
Brown Sugar Icing
8 oz. cream cheese
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
8 oz. cool whip
Mix in mixer until smooth
To make cake: Split each round cake in half so you have 4 layers. Divide icing into 4ths. Start with 1st layer of cake, spread with 1/4 of icing, repeating the layering process until all 4 layers and all the icing is spread. Take a milk chocolate Hershey's bar and shave strips with a vegetable peeler. Place in the center of the cake for garnish.
Labels:
Dessert
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment