Monday, November 14, 2011

Shrimp and Corn Chowder


Last month my mom went to a cooking class all about soups and breads with a friend. How fun is that!?!? I was so jealous and really wanted to go, but unfortunately, the class was a little out of my price range for a Saturday morning activity. But the best part is, now my mom has some amazingly delicious soup and bread recipes. I tried one for the first time on Saturday.... and it is so good! All of the soups have a base, and then variations that you can make your own. I can't wait to try some of the bread.... that will have to wait for Christmas break!

Shrimp and Corn Chowder

Makes 1 1/2 quarts (I cut it in half and had an extra serving of leftovers)

1/4 lb. bacon, diced
2 cups onions, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/3 cup flour
2 Russet style potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup corn
1/2 cup sweet peppers, diced
1 1/2 cups diced, cleaned shrimp
splash of lemon juice
1/2 cup cream
2-3 Tbsp. parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large soup pot, cook bacon until golden (a trick I learned is to cut up bacon strips with a kitchen scissors before frying it... it is so much easier and it fries much more evenly). Add onion and continue to cook 2-3 minutes. Add celery and cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and cook 1-2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add potatoes and cook 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

2. Add corn, sweet peppers and diced shrimp. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Add cream and stir in parsley and a splash of lemon juice.

1 comment:

  1. This soup is awesome!!!!! So glad you and Tyler enjoyed it so much!! The cooking class was at The Kitchen Shoppe in Carlise I would highly recommend taking a class - it was a ton of fun!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete