Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cheesy Mac 'N' Sausasge Bake

 Tonight I tried this new recipe that I found in my Rachael Ray magazine and inadvertently made a few changes to it, which I think ended up making it better. I have a tendency to skim through recipes without actually reading them and guessing on amounts instead of actually measuring - and this was one of those few times it worked.
I read on the ingredients list about slices of sandwich bread, and automatically assumed that I needed to make them into bread crumbs with the food processor - so I did. Only afterwards to realize that you are supposed to lay the bread slices on top of the macaroni when you layer it in the casserole dish. So, I just spread the breadcrumbs in the dish instead.
 I think it was much better my way (even though I didn't taste it the other way). It sounds like way to much starch with pasta and whole slices of bread. Overall, I liked it more than Tyler... he thought it was way to much spinach and ended up picking half of it out. Sigh.  But, he can pick it out, I'll be making it again!

Cheesy Mac 'N' Sausage Bake

1/2 lb. elbow macaroni
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 lb. thawed frozen chopped spinach, squeezed dry (I used fresh)
4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
Salt and pepper
6 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated Parmesan
4 slices white sandwich bread, food processed into breadcrumbs

1. Cook macaroni until al dente. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until crumbly until no longer pink. Drain.
3. Add the spinach and cook, stirring until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until blended; season with salt and pepper.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, heavy cream, 2/3 cup parmesan and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper.
5. In a 9x9 baking dish, evenly layer the macaroni and cover with the breadcrumbs. Top with the spinach mixture in an even layer. Pour the egg mixture on top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup parmesan.
6. Let the casserole stand at room temperature for 30 minutes (I didn't...just put it right in the oven). Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake until browned a crusty on top and set in the center, about 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting.

2 comments:

  1. you're hilarious. i don't know how you have such good cooking (and baking success) by skimming recipes and never setting timers. i would fail miserably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night and thought it was delicious!! Will definitely make this again, and it warms up great! I agree, bread crumbs are the way to go!!

    ReplyDelete